Early years funding: changes to funding for 3- and 4-year-olds
This consultation has concluded
Download the full outcome
Detail of outcome
Summary of the responses we received, along with the government’s response outlining the next steps.
This consultation ran from
We seek views on changes to how we fund free childcare and early education for 3- and 4-year-olds, including a new national funding formula.
This consultation was held on another website.
We’re consulting on proposals to change the way we fund free childcare and early years education. The proposals include:
- introducing a new early years national funding formula for 3- and 4-year-olds
- changing the way local authorities fund the early years providers in their area
- making sure that children with special educational needs or disabilities attract the extra funding they need
Early years providers offer free early education and childcare for children aged under 5, including nurseries and childminders.
Published: 11 August 2016
Updated: 12 December 2016
- Added link to 'early years national funding formula: factsheet on the government response'.
- Added the government response to the consultation, along with links to funding allocations and guidance for local authorities.
- First published.