Developing new standards for social care
This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
This consultation has concluded
Download the full outcome
Detail of outcome
As a result of the consultation, the following 5 topics have been identified for formal referral to NICE:
- falls - regaining independence for older people who experience a fall
- care and support of older people - with learning disabilities
- medicines management - managing the use of medicines in community settings for people receiving social care
- regaining independence - short term interventions to help people to regain independence
- adult social care - service users and carer experience of adult social care
The Department of Health received over 270 responses to this consultation, from a variety of sources, including individual service users, local authorities, local disability groups, charities and clinical commissioning groups.
This report highlights the responses we received and explains what the department’s next steps are for this work.
This consultation ran from
Asks for ideas to help decide on future topics for National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) guidance and standards.
PDF, 94.6KB, 14 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
The government wants to hear ideas from care users, their families and carers, service commissioners, care providers and front line staff to help decide on future topics for National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) guidance and standards in social care. NICE quality standards are a set of statements designed to improve and measure improvements within a particular area of care.
Some of the potential NICE standards for discussion in the consultation include:
- preventing falls
- making sure that people in care homes and hospitals are looked after in a way that does not inappropriately restrict their freedom
- managing peoples medicines in their homes
To find out more, contact the quality and social care team.
Published: 1 February 2013
Updated: 22 January 2014
- Final consultation outcome document has been published
- 26 April 2013: The deadline for this consultation has been extended to 03 May 2013.
- The deadline for this consultation has been extended to 03 May 2013.
- First published.