- Department for Business, Innovation & Skills
- Part of:
- Local Enterprise Partnerships (LEPs) and Enterprise Zones, UK economic growth, and European funds
- 31 July 2013
- Last updated:
- 29 April 2014, see all updates
This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
Detail of outcome
We received 72 completed response forms, primarily from Local Enterprise Partnerships (LEPs) or Local Authorities (LAs). Of these, 89% broadly supported the principles for developing the 2014 to 2020 Assisted Areas Map set out in Stage 1. A further 32 responses were received by letter, mainly from businesses. Almost all were in support of LEP or LA responses for their area. The economic information received proved very useful when developing the draft map issued for Stage 2 consultation.
The second stage consultation on the draft Assisted Areas Map which included the government response to the first stage, was published on 18 December 2013. The purpose of the Stage 2 consultation was to seek views on the draft Assisted Areas Map, taking into consideration the government’s response to the Stage 1 consultation, and the need to comply with the Commission’s regional aid guidelines.
Seeks feedback for a review of the Assisted Areas Order.
This consultation ran from
Under EU legislation, regional aid may be granted to undertakings, typically businesses, within Assisted Areas. The government is currently reviewing the Assisted Areas Order that came into force in 2007.
The government is consulting on the 2014 to 2020 Assisted Areas in 2 stages:
- stage 1: in August and September 2013 we are consulting on common principles for drawing the 2014 to 2020 Assisted Areas Map to gather local feedback about potential economic opportunities where regional aid could be used to support disadvantaged economies
- stage 2: we will publish a draft Assisted Areas Map for consultation in the winter of 2013 to 2014
Subject to European Commission agreement, the 2014 to 2020 Map is expected to come into effect on 1 July 2014.
See the current map of Assisted Areas in Great Britain 2007 to 2013.
- local enterprise partnerships (LEPs) in England and local authorities (LAs) in Scotland and Wales should respond using form 1, and also provide the maps requested in paragraph 128 of the consultation document
- other interested parties should respond using form 2
The Welsh Government has published summaries of this consultation in English and Welsh:
Ref: BIS/13/961 PDF, 215KB, 46 pages
2014 to 2020 Assisted Areas Map consultation stage 1: common principles and local intelligence - data tables
MS Excel Spreadsheet, 200KB
MS Excel Spreadsheet, 163KB
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
Map o'r ardaloedd a gynorthwyir ar gyfer 2014 - 2020: rhyan gyntaf yr ymgynghoriad: egwyddorion cyffredin a gwybodaeth leol
Ref: BIS 13/961W PDF, 308KB, 46 pages
Published: 31 July 2013
Updated: 29 April 2014
- Minor style changes to final outcome text
- Government response to stage 1 consultation and second stage consultation published.
- First published.