Guidance for UK companies interested in exporting goods and services to offshore wind markets overseas.
The UK has the largest offshore wind market in the world with over 5 GW of fully commissioned wind farms. Europe is expected to offer the largest export opportunity in the near future.
By 2020 fully commissioned capacity across Europe will be approaching 25 GW, with over 16 GW of new projects commissioned. Forthcoming contracts in the northern European market between 2015 and 2020 are estimated to be worth over £40 billion.
Other trade opportunities exist within emerging markets globally including China, Japan, United States, Taiwan, South Korea, India and Canada.
UK companies operating across the supply chain have played a significant role in successfully delivering the world’s largest pipeline of offshore wind projects. We want your company to build on that reputation and engage with further opportunities, both across Europe and globally.
How DIT can help
The Department for International Trade (DIT) helps the UK offshore wind sector do more business internationally. We’ve helped UK companies secure wind related contracts worth over £90 million.
We help UK companies:
- increase their presence in overseas markets
- overcome difficulties getting into markets
- develop supply chain opportunities
- partner internationally in technology innovation
We do this by:
- promoting the UK capability overseas through our embassies and High Commissions
- developing relationships with developers and buyers for overseas offshore wind projects
- introducing UK companies to potential partners in market who may be looking to strengthen their experience or increase output capacity
- highlighting important procurement opportunities when we are aware of them
- co-ordinating events, both in market and regionally around the UK, to help British companies better understand the opportunities for themselves
We’d like to hear from companies in the offshore wind sector wanting to grow their business overseas. Sign up to meet with a trade adviser.
Contact email@example.com to receive DIT’s offshore wind e-bulletin.
Find out about DIT services for exporters.
Offshore wind events
Register your interest to attend DIT offshore wind events, including missions and webinars.
DIT provides free international export sales leads from its worldwide network. Find offshore wind export opportunities.
Our new publication ‘Offshore wind: your passport to Europe’ provides an overview of opportunities in a number of European markets.
You may need some form of credit guarantee or insurance to protect you against non-payment or other financial issues in certain markets.
Our case study shows how subsea cable company JDR Cables used UKEF’s Export Working Capital Scheme to obtain finance.
- Case study
- Promotional material