Nuclear sector: export help
Guidance for UK companies involved in the nuclear sector on exporting overseas.
The UK nuclear industry has operated reliably and safely for over 60 years. It has experience of the full nuclear fuel cycle, from front end design through to decommissioning.
The UK government’s nuclear industrial strategy expects the building of new nuclear power stations and development of a supply chain to be a platform to enable UK companies to grow global market share.
The industry is set to expand overseas in the next 10 years. International investment will include:
- around £930 billion for building new reactors
- around £250 billion for decommissioning old reactors
- enhancing efficiency and extending the life of existing reactors
Department for International Trade (DIT) is helping the UK nuclear sector do more business internationally. This includes supporting UK companies to:
- increase their presence in overseas markets
- develop international partnerships to share experience
- overcome difficulties in getting into markets
- develop their supply chains
DIT is working to promote the UK’s civil nuclear capability overseas by:
- raising international awareness of our experience and capability across the nuclear life cycle
- developing market campaigns to target major overseas opportunities
- developing relationships with reactor vendors and project developers
Register for events
Register your interest for international missions to some of the world’s fastest growing and most lucrative markets for nuclear goods and services.
In addition to the market-specific programmes DIT organise 2 important annual events in support of the sector and to promote UK expertise:
- Civil Nuclear Showcase event
- Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA) Supply Chain event
Through these events companies are able to:
- network with potential overseas customers
- demonstrate technologies and products to an international audience
- meet face to face with DIT market advisers
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or expressions of interest in these 2 repeating events, or other DIT nuclear events.
We’d like to hear from companies in the civil nuclear technology sector that want to grow their business overseas. Contact our nuclear team.
Find out about other DIT services for exporters, including making direct contact with your local International Trade Team.
DIT provides free international export sales leads from its worldwide network. Find nuclear export opportunities.
There is demand in the supply chain for the provision of services for overseas civil nuclear programmes, including in:
- legal, regulatory and financial services
- engineering design / technical
- Research and Development (R&D) and scientific services
- programme management
- civil engineering and construction
- tunnelling and water cooling works
- education and training programmes
- full fuel cycle capability
- asset management
- decommissioning and waste management expertise
Contact our nuclear team for further information.
The export of nuclear technology may require a licence to ensure UK companies are meeting our non-proliferation obligations.
You must check with the Export Control Organisation (ECO) to find out if your goods require a strategic export control licence.
You may need some form of credit guarantee or insurance to protect you against non-payment or other financial issues in certain markets. UK Export Finance (UKEF) can provide extra capital to finance large projects and help grow businesses.
Consult with a UKEF export finance adviser to find out about trade finance and insurance support.
- News article
- Promotional material