New Enterprise Allowance: start your own business information
New Enterprise Allowance (NEA): videos, case studies and promotional material about helping unemployed people become self-employed.
Webinar: New Enterprise Allowance and starting a business – information and guidance from DWP and HMRC
Register and find out more:
Do you have a good idea for a business?
New Enterprise Allowance could give you money and support to help you start your own business. You need to be receiving certain benefits and have a business idea that could work.
Watch how Amanda went from thinking about self-employment to starting up her own business with support from the NEA.
Get started with NEA
Speak to your jobcentre work coach – they will explain how the NEA scheme could help you. They will also tell you about the support volunteer business mentors offer in the early months of trading.
Find out more about New Enterprise Allowance eligibility and how to apply
If you’re not eligible you may still be able to get other help with setting up a business.
More about NEA and the people it’s helped so far
Watch our NEA videos – see the inspiring journeys of other budding entrepreneurs going from unemployed to becoming their own boss with the support of NEA.
You can also follow #getbritainworking to keep up to date with the latest on NEA.
Find out about other government support for small businesses and read about those who have already benefited from it at the Business is GREAT website
Become a mentor
Do you have the skills and knowledge that could help someone become their own boss?
Read about being a mentor and how to get involved with NEA.
- Case study
- Case study
- Press release
460 new businesses set up every week by out-of-work entrepreneurs: government scheme reaches 50,000 milestone
- Press release
- Promotional material
Published: 21 May 2013
Updated: 6 October 2016
- Added link to sign up for webinar: New Enterprise Allowance and starting a business – information and guidance from DWP and HMRC on Wednesday 26 October at 12:30pm.
- Added link to sign up for webinar on Wednesday 28 September at 12:30pm.
- Added details of webinars to help unemployed people start their own business.
- Added information about extended eligibility for NEA from 5 January 2015.
- Replaced March 2014 figures with those for September 2014.
- Added links to register for webinars for unemployed people to start their own business on 13 November and 9 December 2014.
- Added details of webinar about help for claimants considering self-employment and tax advice for small businesses, Thursday 24 July 2014, 2pm to 3pm.
- Added press release - Budding entrepreneurs helped off benefits.
- Announced webinar about starting self-employment on 15 May 2014.
- Edited to replace Aug 2013 figures with those for Dec 2013.
- Added press release – Careers with YouTube and Google through Jobcentre Plus
- Promotional videos have now been published to new publication page – https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/new-enterprise-allowance-campaign-promotional-videos Added new case study: Want to create social change? Chris Carter – Learn2Listen.
- Added details of webinar for small businesses on 28 January.
- First published.