New driving test: proposed changes trialled in 2015 to 2016
The government trialled changes to the driving test and consulted on making it a better test of the driver’s ability to drive safely.
The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) is now:
- comparing the results of people taking the current and trial test
- looking at any changes in safe driving within 6 months of learner drivers passing their driving test
- analysing the responses to the public consultation
Consultation about the proposed changes
DVSA ran a public consultation about the proposed changes to the driving test in 2016.
This will be updated when any decisions are made about whether the changes will be introduced.
- News story
- Closed consultation
About the trial and changes
Find out about the proposed changes that were trialled to improve the driving test.
- Policy paper
- Statistical data set
Published: 26 February 2015
Updated: 26 January 2016
- Updated with details of close of registration for driving instructors.
- Added 'New driving test trial: statistics' to the collection.
- First published.