The Department for International Trade (DIT) can help UK companies provide products and services for export in the marine sector.
The UK’s marine engineering and services companies have many great strengths that have driven forward developments in equipment and product design and technical innovation. Marine engineering has several subsectors including commercial, leisure, offshore renewables and naval vessels.
- directly employs nearly 90,000 people in 5,000+ companies
- generates around £19 billion gross value added contribution to Gross Domestic Product (GDP)
Through the Marine Industries Alliance (MIA), government and industry are working in partnership to secure the maximum opportunity for the industry to flourish, growing exports and delivering against market opportunities.
How DIT can help:
We help UK marine companies:
- increase their presence in overseas markets
- overcome difficulties getting in to markets
- develop supply chain opportunities
- partner internationally in technology innovation
We do this by:
- developing relationships with international shipyards, ship owners and operators to understand their procurement requirements and facilitate access for UK companies
- promoting the UK marine engineering capability through the DIT’s overseas networks in British embassies and High Commissions and the Prime Minister’s Trade Envoys and Business Ambassadors
- working with the MIA and Marine Industries Leadership Council (MILC) to develop strategies to win business for UK marine companies
- providing information and support to the UK marine supply chain on these opportunities
We’d like to hear from companies in the marine sector wanting to grow their business overseas. Sign up and meet with a trade adviser.
Find out about DIT services for exporters
Register for DIT events
Register your interest to attend seminars, trade shows and international missions where you can:
- network with potential overseas customers
- demonstrate technologies and products to an international audience
- meet face to face with DIT advisers
DIT provides free international export sales leads from its worldwide network. Find export opportunities.
You may need some form of credit guarantee or insurance to protect you against non-payment or other financial issues in certain markets. UK Export Finance (UKEF) can provide extra capital to finance large projects and help grow business.
Watch our videos on the help UKEF can give on trade finance and managing payment risk.
Consult with a UKEF export finance adviser to find out about trade finance and insurance support.
Find additional marine sector trade associations on the Trade Association Forum.
- Corporate report