This collection brings together all documents relating to English indices of deprivation.
The Department for Communities and Local Government is updating the indices of deprivation, including the Index of Multiple Deprivation (IMD), for publication in summer 2015.
The work is being carried out by Oxford Consultants for Social Inclusion (OCSI).
The department held a consultation asking for views on the final proposals for updating the indices in late 2014. A response to the consultation will be published during 2015.
You can register to receive alerts about how to get involved in the indices by emailing email@example.com.
Scope of the indices update
The aim is to update and refine, rather than make major changes to, the indices of deprivation 2010.
The objectives of the update are to:
- review the indicators included in the 2010 indices to determine if they remain fit for purpose and, where there is a clear rationale for doing so, identifying potential changes to the group of indicators in each domain
- assess the current data landscape, such as changes to (or expiry of) previously used sources, as well as identifying new sources
- review whether the statistical methods used in the production of the 2010 indices (the shrinkage technique, factor analysis and exponential transformation) are still justified and assessing if alternative methods are available and the strengths and weaknesses of any such alternatives
The updated indices will be based on the theoretical model of deprivation underpinning the 2010 indices and will continue to be based on the Lower-layer Super Output Area (LSOA) geography. Changes to existing domains and sub-domains are outside the scope of the update, although there may be changes to the indicators within each domain.
We expect to develop the indices to the following timeline:
- spring 2014: scoping stage, identifying opportunities for updating and improving the indices
- spring to autumn 2014: data exploration, methodology and indicator testing - this stage includes an online user survey (July) to inform the development of proposals for updating the indices
- autumn 2014: final consultation on proposals for updating the indices - this stage includes events (November) giving users the opportunity to learn about the proposals
- winter 2014 to summer 2015: production of updated indices
- summer 2015: publication of updated indices
This site includes statistics from 2010 onwards. Earlier versions of the English indices of deprivation are available from the National Archive.
- 13 December 2012
- 24 March 2011
- 24 March 2011
- 23 March 2011