The UK is renowned globally for its agricultural scientific research and innovation ecosystem. Its centres of excellence (their researchers and facilities) work closely with industry across a range of disciplines to develop and commercialise a wide range of innovative technologies for export.
Breakthroughs in science and technology are helping to radically change the industry. The sector is growing quickly as a result of global challenges and opportunities including:
- increased affluence
- development of emerging economies
- climate change adaption and mitigation
- developing sustainable use of limited resources of land, water and energy
The sector was estimated to be worth USD 400 billion in 2013, offering huge export opportunities, in particular in emerging markets.
The entire agri-food supply chain, from agriculture to final retail and catering contributed £103 billion to the UK economy, around 7% of Gross Value Added (GVA) in 2014.
Around 13% of the UK’s workforce is involved in the process of getting food from ‘farm to fork’.
Agri-tech: How DIT can support your business
How DIT can help
The Department for International Trade (DIT) helps the UK agri-tech sector do more business internationally.
We help UK companies:
- identify and access export opportunities and sales leads
- build networks and create business connections
- overcome challenges of doing business in overseas markets
- exhibit at major international trade fairs
- partner internationally in technology innovation
We do this by:
- leveraging government influence to address trade barriers and accelerate routes to market
- championing the role of agri-tech in strengthening UK agri-business success in both exports and investment through DIT’s Agri-Tech Organisation
- offering tailored advice and support to businesses or institutions
- promoting the industry and UK’s capability in the agri-tech sector overseas through our embassies and High Commissions
- working with the Agri-tech Leadership Council made up of representatives from government and industry
- introducing companies to potential partners to enable them to access more challenging markets
Find out about DIT services for exporters
Register your interest to attend DIT agri-tech events, including missions and webinars.
Accessing export opportunities
DIT provides free international export sales leads from its worldwide network. Find agri-tech export opportunities.
The £70 million Agri-tech Catalyst funding scheme helps businesses and researchers commercialise their research and develop innovative solutions to global challenges in the agri-tech sector.
You may need some form of credit guarantee or insurance to protect you against non-payment or other financial issues in certain markets.
UK Export Finance (UKEF) can provide extra capital to finance large projects and help grow business. Watch our videos on the help UKEF can give on trade finance and managing payment risk.
UK Export Finance: Pointing your business in the right direction
Find agri-ech sector trade associations on the Trade Association Forum