Replace or correct a UK citizenship certificate

You must pay a fee to order a replacement registration or naturalisation certificate, or to correct mistakes on a certificate.

How you order a certificate depends on when you became a citizen.

If you became a citizen after 30 September 1986

Replace a lost or damaged certificate

It costs £250 to replace a lost or damaged certificate.

Fill in the form online. You’ll usually be able to keep your documents while your application is being processed.

You can get help with completing the online form if you:

  • do not feel confident using a computer or mobile device
  • do not have internet access

You can only use this service if you’re applying in the UK.

If you live in the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or a British overseas territory, you have to apply in person or by post instead. Check which you can do with your governor’s office.

If you live elsewhere, you can apply in other ways.

You must tell the police if your certificate has been stolen.

Correct mistakes on a certificate

  1. Download and complete an application for a correction of a registration or naturalisation certificate.

  2. Send the form and your original certificate to Department 1, UKVI.

  3. You’ll need to pay a £250 fee if the mistake on your certificate was your fault. UKVI will send you a letter telling you if you need to pay.

Department 201
The Capital
New Hall Place
L3 9PP

If you became a citizen on or before 30 September 1986

You can search the National Archives and order a certified copy for a:

  • registration certificate issued between 1 January 1949 and 30 September 1986
  • naturalisation certificate issued between 1 January 1844 and 30 September 1986

You cannot get a replacement certificate from UKVI if you became a British citizen before October 1986. Contact UKVI for help.