You can't apply for this licence online. Contact your local council.


You need a licence for most fireworks manufacturing. Find out the licence requirements for manufacturing fireworks.

Storing fireworks

To run wholesale or retail premises that store or sell fireworks of up to 2,000kg (net explosives content) in England, Scotland and Wales, you must be licensed with:

  • the fire service - if you’re in West Midlands, Merseyside, Greater Manchester, Tyne and Wear, South Yorkshire and West Yorkshire
  • the trading standards department of your local council - anywhere else

Apply for a licence from your local council.

To store or sell more than 2,000kg (net explosives content), you need a licence from the Health and Safety Executive.

In Northern Ireland you need to register with the Northern Ireland Office.

Selling fireworks

You can only sell fireworks without a licence at certain times of the year.

Day where fireworks are allowed Period you can sell fireworks
5 November From 15 October to 10 November
New Years From 26 December to 31 December
Chinese New Year The first day of Chinese New Year and the 3 days before it
Diwali The first day of Diwali and the 3 days before it

You’ll have to get a licence to sell fireworks outside these times from one of the following: