End a civil partnership

3. File an application

To end a civil partnership, you first need to fill in a dissolution application.

You must include your:

  • full name and address
  • civil partner’s full name and address
  • civil partnership certificate - the original certificate or a copy from a register office

Include the names and dates of birth of any children (no matter how old they are).

Pay the court fee

You will have to pay a £550 court fee to file the dissolution application.

You may be able to get help with court fees if you’re on benefits or a low income.

By phone with a debit or credit card

The court calls you to take your payment. Include a letter with your petition to request the call and give them your phone number.

By post with a cheque

Make out the cheque to ‘HM Courts and Tribunals Service’ and send it with your petition.

Send the forms

Once you have filled in the forms:

  • send 2 copies to the court
  • keep copies for yourself
  • include your cheque, or your letter asking to pay by phone

Where to send the forms

Send the forms to your nearest court dealing with civil partnership dissolution.