Home schooling

Help from the council, illness, alternative provision (AP) academies, pupil referral units.


  1. Home education

    You can educate your child at home ('home schooling') but you must notify the school in writing if you’re taking your child out of school

  2. Home education: get information from your council

    Your responsibilities with your local council if you want to educate your child at home - sometimes called home schooling

  3. Illness and your child's education

    What happens if your child can't go to school for health reasons - responsibilities of the local council and school and how medical needs are handled at school

See more services in this topic

Guidance and regulation

  1. Elective home education
See more guidance and regulation in this topic

Research and statistics

  1. Home learning: the influence of early years providers
See more research and statistics in this topic

Policy papers and consultations

  1. Home education: call for evidence and revised DfE guidance
See more policy papers and consultations in this topic