You can teach your child at home, full or part-time (‘home schooling’) - but tell the school and your local council if you’re taking them out of school.

As a parent, you must make sure your child receives a full-time education from the age of 5 but you don’t have to follow the national curriculum.

Telling the council

You only need to tell the council if you’re taking your child out of a special school.

If the council wants to check on your child’s education

The council can make an ‘informal enquiry’ if you’re educating your child at home, to make sure they’re getting a suitable education. If the council thinks your child isn’t receiving a suitable education, they might serve a school attendance order.

You can get help with home education from your local council.

Telling the school

If you’re taking your child out of school, you must write to the head teacher. You can ask the school to teach your child part-time, but the school doesn’t have to accept your request.