Download the full outcome
Detail of outcome
The Department for Education’s (DfE’s) response to the children not in school consultation, which sought proposals on:
- a local authority register of children not attending school
- support for home-educating families
This consultation closed in June 2019. It was a follow-up to the consultation and call for evidence on elective home education held by DfE in 2018.
The consultation response provides details on DfE’s commitment to a form of local authority administered register for children not in school.
The consultation response outlines our intentions to legislate at the earliest opportunity to implement a duty on:
- local authorities to:
- keep a register of all children of compulsory age in their area who are not registered pupils at a state or independent school
- provide support to home educating families
- parents of children to supply information to such a register
proprietors of defined settings to supply information on relevant children
This consultation is a follow-up to the consultation and call for evidence on elective home education held by the Department for Education in 2018.
It seeks views on proposed legislation to establish:
- a register maintained by local authorities of children not attending mainstream schools
- duties on parents and the proprietors of certain educational settings
It also consults on proposed legislation to establish a duty to support parents who educate children at home and seek support from their local authority in doing so.