The Driving Standards Agency (DSA) and Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) have merged to form the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).
If you drive a goods vehicle or a passenger-carrying vehicle you must follow the rules on how many hours you can drive and the breaks that you need to take.
There are 3 sets of rules that could apply to your journey:
The rules that apply depend on:
- the type of vehicle you’re driving
- which country you’re driving in
This guide highlights the main rules. Read the following guides for more information:
- goods vehicles: rules on drivers’ hours and tachographs
- passenger vehicles: rules on drivers’ hours and tachographs
- emergency exemption and temporary relaxation or drivers’ hours and working time rules
Download drivers’ hours checklists
You can also print out the ‘Staying legal’ leaflets including checklists covering the basic rules: