You can apply for a visa to visit the UK with your employer if you:
- are a domestic worker in a private household
- have worked for your employer for at least one year
- are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
- meet the other eligibility requirements
Domestic workers include:
- those providing personal care for the employer and their family
How long it will take
You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK. You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.
Check the guide processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in your country.
It costs £405 for a visa as a domestic worker in a private household.
How long you can stay
You can use this visa to visit the UK with your employer for up to 6 months.
You must return home at the end of the 6 months or when your employer returns home, whichever is sooner.
What you can and can’t do
- stay in the UK if your employer takes a short trip to another country during the visit
- travel abroad and return to the UK to complete your stay, though you must prove you still work for your employer, eg a letter from them
- change employers to another job as a domestic worker in a private household - only if you don’t stay longer than the 6 months
- change your job for the employer you came to the UK with
- live in the UK for long periods of time through frequent visits
- bring in family members (‘dependants’) - they must apply separately
- get public funds