You can apply for a visa to visit the UK with your employer if you:
- are a domestic worker in a private household
- have worked for your employer for at least one year
- meet the other eligibility requirements
Domestic workers include:
- those providing personal care for the employer and their family
If you or your family are from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein
If you started living in the UK on or before 31 December 2020, you can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme.
If you’re coming to the UK from 1 January 2021, you’ll need to apply for a Domestic Worker in a Private Household visa.
Irish citizens do not need to apply for a visa or to the EU Settlement Scheme.
How long it will take
You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK.
You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks when you apply from outside the UK.
It costs £516 for a visa as a domestic worker in a private household.
How long you can stay
You can use this visa to visit the UK with your employer for up to 6 months.
You must return home at the end of the 6 months or when your employer returns home, whichever is sooner.
What you can and cannot do
- stay in the UK if your employer takes a short trip to another country during the visit
- travel abroad and return to the UK to complete your stay
- change employers to another job as a domestic worker in a private household - only if you do not stay longer than the 6 months
- change your job for the employer you came to the UK with
- live in the UK for long periods of time through frequent visits
- bring in family members (‘dependants’) - they must apply separately
- get public funds