How much will be paid
£200 per hectare (ha)
How long this option lasts
This option lasts for 10 years, instead of the standard 5 years for the grant scheme.
Where to use this option
Available for Higher Tier and Woodland Creation Grant
The capital item TE4 - Supply and plant tree must be used with this option.
Where this option cannot be used
On land owned by public authorities; this includes land owned by the state, the Crown, county councils, district councils, and local authorities.
How this option will benefit the environment
It will help create woodland that:
- supports wildlife, by linking habitats together or providing a protective buffer between them
- reduces the risk of floods, improves water quality and prevents soil erosion
- is resilient and can adapt to climate change
- enhances the landscape
Agreement holders are likely to need to:
- keep all newly planted trees free from competing vegetation for 10 years by using approved herbicides, mulch, or a clearing saw, hook or scythe
- replace any trees that die
- maintain fences, tree shelters or spiral guards
- maintain areas of open space
- remove individual tree protection in year 10
The agreement will set out what must not be done. It is likely successful applicants will not be allowed to:
- use any herbicides if trees are being planted on land next to a watercourse.
Agreement holders are likely to need to keep the following records and supply them on request:
- photographs showing the level of maintenance in years 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 (submitted with the annual claim)
- a self-certification checklist after planting in years 4, 7, and 10, confirming that all the agreed operations have been carried out (submitted with the annual claim)
- any bank statements, receipted invoices, consents or permissions connected with the work
- records of all management activity on the option area for each parcel
The detailed requirements for this option will be tailored to the Higher Tier site. Applicants should discuss and agree these requirements with their adviser.
Agreement holders will need to carry out maintenance so that the woodland is fully established by year 10.