How much will be paid
£36 per hectare (ha).
Where to use this option
Available for Mid Tier and Higher Tier
Only on grassland that meets each of the following requirements:
- permanent grassland that drains directly into a watercourse and is prone to waterlogging, compaction or poaching, where it is important to remove livestock during the winter
- in a severely disadvantaged area (SDA) and below the moorland line
How this option will benefit the environment
Livestock will be removed at particular times of the year from fields adjacent to a watercourse that are prone to waterlogging, compaction or poaching. This option will help enhance water quality by reducing the input of nutrients and sediment to streams, rivers and lakes caused by surface runoff and the leaching of nutrients from adjacent farmland.
- exclude all livestock from the land from 1 October to 15 March
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them on request:
- field operations at the parcel level, including associated invoices
- stock records to show grazing activity on each parcel
Applicants will have to send the following with their application:
- evidence that the parcel is prone to waterlogging, compacting or poaching and drains directly to a watercourse
Related Mid Tier options
The following options can be located on the same area as this option:
- OR1 - Organic conversion - improved permanent grassland
- OR2 - Organic conversion - unimproved permanent grassland
- OT1 - Organic land management - improved permanent grassland
- OT2 - Organic land management - unimproved permanent grassland
Advice and suggestions for how to carry out this option
The following section gives advice on carrying out this option successfully but does not form part of the requirements for this option.
Storing manures and moving livestock
Applicants should not:
- store manure on the site
- cause soil damage on other parcels by removing livestock from the site
- apply any fertilisers or manures from 15 August to 31 January
as doing so might breach cross compliance and other regulations.