BN3: Earth bank creation
Find out about eligibility and requirements for the earth bank creation item.
How much will be paid
£13.50 per metre (m).
Where to use this item
Available for Mid Tier and Higher Tier
Only on sites of former earth banks, as evidenced by historic maps, or where other records show that earth banks are a feature of a specific location or landscape.
How this item will benefit the environment
If successful there will be a new length of earth bank which will conserve and enhance landscape character and provide a valuable wildlife habitat.
- build the bank to reflect the style and profile of other banks in a good condition nearby
- build up moist soil in consolidated layers, allowing it to settle at each stage to make sure it is stable
- build each face of the bank so that it slopes inwards (approximately 0.3m for every 1m in height), to create a ‘batter’ (slope)
- make the base of the bank wider than the top by roughly 45cm to 60cm on each side
- take turves up to the full height of the new bank in areas where existing banks are faced with turves
- finish off the top with loose soil or turf (unless a hedge is being planted)
- make sure the top line of the bank is level with the ground
- finish the ends of the bank at gateways with turfing or stone facing, and protect it from being damaged by livestock and machinery
- remove any surplus earth-fill and stones from the site after the work has been completed and restore the ground around it
- block or restrict access to open access land
- remove soil from other banks, even if they are derelict
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them on request:
- any consents or permissions connected with the work
- receipted invoices, or bank statements where a receipted invoice is unavailable
- please see the record keeping and inspection requirements as set out in the Mid Tier manual for more detail
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them with the claim:
- photographs during and after work has been completed
Applicants will have to send the following with their application:
- photographs to show the planned location for each length of earth bank creation
- historic maps or other records to evidence that the proposed location of the bank creation is on an original footprint, or is a feature of a specific location or landscape
Published: 2 April 2015
Updated: 10 March 2017
- Updated for 2017 applications.
- Information updated for applications in 2016.
- Update to 'keeping records' section.
- First published.