Find out about eligibility and requirements for the deer exclosure plot item.
How much will be paid
£136 per unit.
Where to use this item
Available for Higher Tier.
Only on woodland, wood pasture, scrub, heathland, and moorland or grassland restoration to protect regeneration of woody species from deer browsing.
How this item will benefit the environment
It will protect areas of woodland that are approximately 16 square metres in size from deer browsing. This will allow monitoring of the area’s regeneration potential and the impact of browsing.
Agreement holders are likely to need to:
- erect a deer exclosure plot that is at least 1.8m high by 4m by 4m
- make sure the fence meets the specifications set out in the Forestry Commission’s technical guide, Forest Fencing but with no gates
- make sure the fence is inspected at least once a year
- maintain the fence so that deer cannot enter the site for the length of the agreement
- make sure that stakes are large enough to support the exclosure plot for the length of the agreement
- replace any stakes or fencing materials that become damaged during the term of the agreement
- clear debris from the line of the fence
- make the line of the fence smooth enough that the bottom of the fence sits with the ground (there must be no gaps that deer can get through)
What the management plan needs to include
The management plan needs to identify that deer are present on the site and are a threat to it.
- cut any vegetation inside the plot
Agreement holders are likely to need to keep the following records and supply them on request:
- any consents or permissions connected with the work
- receipted invoices, or bank statements where a receipted invoice is unavailable
- please see the record keeping and inspection requirements as set out in the Higher Tier manual for more detail
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them with the claim:
- photographs of the completed work
Applicants will need to send the following with their application:
- Forestry Commission Management Plan if required
The detailed requirements for this item will be tailored to the Higher Tier site. Higher Tier applicants should discuss and agree these requirements with their adviser.
Advice and suggestions for how to carry out this item
The following section gives advice on carrying out this item successfully but does not form part of the requirements for this item.
How to choose a site
Choose a site within the woodland where it is reasonable to expect the regeneration of trees, shrubs and flowers to take place, but where this is not currently happening. The area should receive enough light for regeneration to occur. ##Further information
See the Higher Tier manual to find out more about the scheme and how to apply.
Published: 2 April 2015
Updated: 10 March 2017
- Updated for 2017 applications.
- Information updated for applications in 2016.
- First published.