Find out about eligibility and requirements for the buffering in-field ponds and ditches in improved grassland option.
How much will be paid
£201 per hectare (ha).
Where to use this option
Available for Mid Tier and Higher Tier
Only on improved grassland next to ponds.
Where this option cannot be used
- around artificially created ponds such as dew ponds, fishponds, decoy ponds or parkland ponds
- around ponds associated with industrial features such as effluent ponds, balancing ponds or small water supply reservoirs
How this option will benefit the environment
It protects ponds from nutrient leaching and runoff. This will maintain and enhance water quality and wildlife. If successful there will be:
- a grassy strip with a mix of grasses, flowering plants, scrub and trees
- a decrease in the amount of sediment and nutrient entering the pond
- leave a 10m to 20m wide buffer strip next to the pond
- let tussocky grass and low scrub develop
- only cut to control the spread of woody growth
- let scrub develop on more than half of the pond or ditch margin - the southern side of the pond must remain open
- let livestock poach more than a third of the pond margin
- use pesticides, except herbicides to weed wiper or spot treat for the control of injurious weeds, invasive non-native species, nettles or bracken
- apply any fertilisers or manures
- cut between 1 March and 31 August
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them on request:
- field operations at the parcel level, including associated invoices
On your annual claim you will be asked to declare that you haven’t carried out any activities prohibited by the option requirements.
You should also be aware that at the start of each claim year, a percentage of agreement holders will be asked to take and submit the following photographic records:
- photographs of the strips
Applicants will need to send the following with their application:
- evidence that the grassland is improved, including photographs of the pond
- map indicating the location of pond
Related Mid Tier options
These options and supplements can be located on the same area as this option:
- OR1 - Organic conversion - improved permanent grassland
- OT1 - Organic land management - improved permanent grassland
Published: 2 April 2015
Updated: 10 March 2017
- Updated for 2017 applications.
- Information updated for applications in 2016.
- First published.