7. Problems paying and financial help

Tell your council as soon as you think you’ll have a problem paying your Council Tax bill.

You can choose to spread your payments over 12 months instead of 10 if you’re not already doing so. Contact your council and ask them to set this up.

Your council may be able to give you a one-off discount if you’re really struggling to pay.

Council Tax Reduction

You may be able to claim Council Tax Reduction or Second Adult Rebate if you’re on a low income.

Missing Council Tax payments

You Council Tax is normally split into 10 monthly payments.

If you haven’t spoken to your council about a problem paying your bill, and you miss a payment, your council will ask you for payment.

  1. Your council will send you a reminder notice giving you 7 days to pay.

  2. If you don’t pay within 7 days, the council will send you a final notice. You’ll also get a final notice if your monthly Council Tax payments are late 3 times in a year. The final notice gives you 7 days to pay the full amount of Council Tax for the whole year.

  3. If you don’t pay the final notice within 7 days, the council will take legal action to get the Council Tax you owe. The court may also make you pay the council’s costs, like hiring a lawyer.

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.