1. Challenge your band

Valuation bands are based on how much a property was worth on:

  • 1 April 1991, for England and Scotland
  • 1 April 2003, for Wales

You might be able to challenge your Council Tax band if you think it’s wrong, but you need to continue paying your Council Tax while the challenge is happening.

You can also appoint someone else to appeal on your behalf.

Check if you can challenge

  1. Find your property’s Council Tax band on the valuation list.

  2. From ‘Council Tax band details’ choose ‘Do you think this Council Tax band is wrong?’

  3. From ‘If you think your Council Tax band is wrong’ choose ‘Check if you can formally challenge your Council Tax band’.

  4. Answer the questions on the checklist.

If you’re eligible to challenge

You can make a formal challenge (known as a ‘proposal’) online. You can also challenge by post. Download and fill in the application to either:

Send the form to the Listing Officer at your regional VOA (Valuation Office Agency) office.

If you’re in Scotland use the Scottish Assessors website to check your Council Tax band, then follow the link ‘Make a proposal’.

If you’re not eligible to challenge

Write to your regional VOA office to ask for an informal Council Tax band review. Explain why you think your band is wrong, and send valuations for your property and no more than 5 others in the immediate area.

The other valuations must be for properties that are:

  • the same size as your house - no more than 10% larger or smaller
  • the same type as your house, eg semi-detached, terraced, detached

You need to use valuations from the period 1 April 1989 to 1 April 1993 (1 April 2001 to 1 April 2005 in Wales).

Don’t send valuations from estate agent or property listings websites - they won’t be accepted.

What happens next

You’ll get a decision from the VOA within 2 months. They’ll either:

  • change your Council Tax band - your local council will revise your bill and adjust your payments
  • tell you why your band can’t be changed

If you disagree with the VOA’s decision

In England, if you make a formal challenge and disagree with the VOA’s decision, you can appeal to the independent Valuation Tribunal.

You must appeal within 3 months of getting the VOA’s decision.

The tribunal is free and can make the VOA re-examine your challenge.

In Wales, if you and the VOA can’t agree, your challenge will be heard by a local Valuation Tribunal.

If the tribunal agrees with you, the VOA will change your band and the council will update your bill.