You can volunteer during coronavirus (COVID-19) with an organisation or group. You can also help people in your local area by doing things like picking up shopping or medicines.
You may be able to volunteer:
- from home
- from outside your home
- in a workplace
A new COVID-19 variant is spreading in some parts of England. Check what you can and cannot do if you’re in an area where the new variant is spreading.
This guidance is for volunteers in England. There’s different guidance on:
If you run an organisation or group, or manage volunteers, find out how to involve volunteers safely.
Where you can volunteer
You should volunteer from home where possible.
Follow guidance on volunteering with other people if you have to volunteer outside your home. Do not leave home if:
- you’ve been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace
- you’re self-isolating for any other reason
If you’re volunteering in a workplace, it should follow guidance on working safely during COVID-19.
If you’re at high risk from COVID-19
You can volunteer outside your home, if you’re at high risk from COVID-19 (clinically extremely vulnerable), but you should take extra steps to protect yourself. For example, reduce:
- your social interactions
- the time you spend in places where you cannot social distance
If you have COVID-19 symptoms
Do not volunteer outside your home if you have COVID-19 symptoms or if you’ve tested positive for COVID-19.
You must self-isolate from the date you started having symptoms or from the day you tested positive and for the next 10 full days - whichever is the latest.
If you’re self-isolating your volunteer organisation should not ask you to leave home.
If you need to travel as a volunteer
Find out how to travel safely if you’re volunteering in England.
Check COVID-19 guidance in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland before you travel, if you need to volunteer in one of these countries.
Before volunteering abroad:
- check if the country you’re going to is accepting volunteers - read foreign travel advice to find out where you can go
- read the guidance on travelling abroad during COVID-19
- check if your volunteering role means you’re exempt from travel restrictions
- check the rules you must follow when you return to England