Contracted out of the State Pension

Check if you were contracted out

You can find out if you were contracted out by:

You’re more likely to have been contracted out if you’ve worked in the public sector, for example:

  • the NHS
  • local councils
  • fire services
  • the civil service
  • teaching
  • police forces
  • the armed forces

You can check with your pension provider if you’ve been contracted out. The Pension Tracing Service might be able to find your pension provider’s contact details if you’ve lost contact with them.