Complain about a claims company

Contact your claims company, the Legal Ombudsman, or the Claims Management Regulator (CMR) to make a complaint.

Claims management companies can help you make certain types of claims against financial services providers for a fee, eg to claim for mis-sold payment protection insurance (PPI). They can give you advice on what you can claim and help you with the legal process.

Complaining about poor service

Complain to the Legal Ombudsman if you’re unhappy with the service you’ve received from a claims company, for example the results of your claim or the fees they’ve charged you.

  1. Ask the claims company for a copy of their complaints procedure or check their website.

  2. Contact the claims company with your complaint so they have a chance to put things right.

  3. Keep a record of your complaint, for example details about any communication between you and the claims company.

  4. Contact the Legal Ombudsman if your claims company does not resolve your complaint in 8 weeks.

Contact the Legal Ombudsman
Telephone: 0300 555 0333
Minicom: 0300 555 1777
Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5.30pm
Find out about call charges

Complaining about poor conduct

Complain to the Claims Management Regulator (CMR) if you’re unhappy with the conduct of a claims company.

Poor conduct could include:

CMR cannot pay compensation or order a claims management company to compensate you, even if you’ve received poor service.

You’ll be referred to the Legal Ombudsman if your complaint is about poor service.

Contact the Claims Management Regulator
Telephone: 0333 200 0110
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Find out about call charges

Claims Management Regulation Unit
Monitoring and Compliance Office
57-60 High Street
Burton on Trent
DE14 1JS

You can also can fill in a complaint form and email or post it to the CMR.