Compensation when a road affects your property's value

Skip to contents of guide


You can apply for compensation if the value of your property goes down because of pollution or disturbance from the use of a new or altered road.

This is known as a ‘Part I claim’.

When you can claim

You can claim after a road’s been open to traffic for 1 year.

How to claim

  1. Check you have a valid claim.

  2. Check where to send your claim.

You can make a claim yourself or use an agent (eg a professional property valuer or claims company) to claim for you.