Compensation after an accident or injury

Skip to contents of guide

Using a solicitor or a claims company

You can’t usually get legal aid for personal injury cases.

A solicitor should advise you on costs before you agree to hire them.

Get advice from Citizens Advice on what’s involved in taking legal action and how much it will cost you.

Claims companies

Businesses known as claims companies can help you find a solicitor.

Most claims handlers aren’t solicitors, and so won’t be able to represent you in court.

Check that a claims company is authorised: business search.

‘No win, no fee’ deals

If you use a ‘no win, no fee’ agreement, you will only have to pay the solicitor’s fee if you win the case.

You may still have to pay for some other costs, like:

  • fees to pay for experts
  • court fees
  • travelling expenses

If you lose, you will also have to pay for:

  • the other side’s legal costs
  • other expenses and charges, such as fees for witnesses

The solicitor may charge a fee for winning the case.