- Published on 16 June 2015, as required by Rule 7 of the CMA Rules of Procedure for Merger, Market and Special Reference Groups. Any revisions made to the timetable will be published on this website.
|Phase 2 date||Action|
|22 November 2015||Statutory deadline|
|November 2015||Publish final report|
|Late October 2015||Final deadline for all parties’ responses/submissions|
|Early October 2015||Consider possible remedies and response hearing(s) (if required)|
|September 2015||Publish provisional findings|
|Early September 2015||Deadline for all parties’ responses/submissions required before provisional findings|
|August/September 2015||Main party hearing, verify information, consider provisional findings|
|Mid-June 2015||Publish statement of issues|
|June/July 2015||Gather information, issue questionnaires, hear third parties|
|8 June 2015||Merger reference made|
- Final report (PDF, 1.61 Mb) (5.11.15)
- Appendices and Glossary (PDF, 4.28 Mb) (5.11.15)
- Press release: CMA clears water merger (5.11.15)
30 September 2015: The CMA has provisionally cleared the purchase of Bournemouth Water by South West Water.
- Provisional findings report (PDF, 1.5 Mb) (30.9.15)
- Appendices and Glossary (PDF, 2.1 Mb) (30.9.15)
- Summary of provisional findings (30.9.15)
- Notice of provisional findings (30.9.15)
- Press release: CMA provisionally clears water merger (30.9.15)
3 July 2015: The issues statement sets out the scope of the investigation. It outlines initial theories on what might be adversely affecting competition, but it does not set out findings or conclusions.
The publication of the evidence of any party on the CMA’s web pages does not indicate in any way endorsement by the CMA of the views expressed in the evidence or acceptance of that evidence. Publication in this way is designed to assist public understanding of the issues.
Responses to provisional findings
As part of its evidence-gathering process, the CMA is holding hearings with a range of industry customers and interested parties.
- Charles Howeson (WaterShare) (11.8.15)
- Consumer Council for Water (11.8.15)
- Bournemouth Water Customer View Group (11.8.15)
- Wessex Water (11.8.15)
Responses to issues statement
- Pennon Group (21.7.15)
The CMA’s merger inquiry is independent and welcomes submissions from all interested parties.
- Drinking Water Inspectorate (15.7.15)
- South West Water WaterShare (15.7.15)
Ofwat (PDF, 2.3 Mb) (3.7.15)
- Pennon Group’s response to Ofwat submission (PDF, 2.3 Mb) (21.7.15)
- Pennon Group (PDF, 4.5 Mb) (3.7.15)
- Bournemouth Water Customer View Group (1.7.15)
- Wessex Water (1.7.15)
- Consumer Council for Water (1.7.15)
Inquiry group appointed
11 June 2015: The CMA has appointed the inquiry group.
Terms of reference
8 June 2015: The CMA has referred the completed acquisition by Pennon Group plc of Sembcorp Bournemouth Water Investments Limited for an in-depth investigation.
- Terms of reference (12.6.15)
|Phase 1 date||Action|
|8 June 2015||Decision announced|
|20 May 2015||Launch of merger inquiry|
|22 April to 7 May 2015||Invitation to comment|
|17 April 2015||Initial enforcement order|
- Reference decision (12.6.15)
- Press release: South West and Bournemouth water merger referred for in-depth investigation (8.6.15)
Initial enforcement order
- Initial enforcement order (22.4.15)