Leisure sector: suspected anti-competitive practices
The CMA is investigating a suspected breach of competition law in the funfair sector under Chapter I of CA98.
|June to September 2017 (estimate)||Considering parties’ representations; decision on case outcome|
|March to May 2017 (estimate)||Receipt of written and oral representations on the statement of objections|
|December 2016||Statement of objections issued|
|June to December 2016||Further investigation and analysis, including further information requests|
|June 2016||Decision to proceed with the investigation|
|December 2015 to June 2016||Initial investigation: information gathering, including issuance of formal and informal information requests and the party’s responses. CMA analysis and review of the party’s responses to information requests. State of play meetings with the party under investigation|
|December 2015||Investigation opened|
Statement of objections
21 December 2016: The CMA issued a statement of objections alleging that the Showmen’s Guild of Great Britain has breached UK competition law through certain of its current rules.
- Press release: Funfair body alleged to have broken competition law (21.12.16)
- The investigation is under Chapter I of the Competition Act 1998 (CA98).
- No conclusion should be drawn that there has been an infringement of competition law at this stage and the recipients of the statement of objections will now have an opportunity to respond to the allegations.
- The CMA will consider any representations it receives before any decision is taken as to whether competition law has in fact been infringed.
- Further detail of the CMA’s procedures in Competition Act 1998 cases is available here: CMA’s procedures in Competition Act cases.
- Changes to the timing of original entries in the case timetable will be made where the estimated timing changes.
George Brenton (020 3738 6327, email@example.com)
Simon Nichols (0203 738 6368, firstname.lastname@example.org)
Senior responsible officer
Ann Pope (0203 738 6786, email@example.com)
Published: 15 December 2015
Updated: 14 June 2017
Opened: 15 December 2015
- Timetable updated.
- Statement of objections issued.
- Timetable updated.
- First published.