Breedon Aggregates / Hope Construction Materials merger inquiry
The CMA investigated the anticipated acquisition of Hope Construction Materials Limited by Breedon Aggregates Limited.
|Phase 1 date||Action|
|27 July 2016||Undertakings in lieu accepted|
|30 June 2016||Decision published|
|23 June 2016||Extension of consideration of undertakings in lieu (UILs)|
|12 April 2016||Decision announced|
|12 February to 26 February 2016||Invitation to comment|
|12 February 2016||Launch of merger inquiry|
Undertakings in lieu of reference accepted
27 July 2016: The CMA has accepted undertakings in lieu of reference for the anticipated acquisition by Breedon Aggregates Limited of Hope Construction Materials Limited. A copy of the undertakings and the decision are available below.
- UIL acceptance decision (29.7.16)
- Breedon final undertakings (PDF, 5.8MB) (27.7.16)
- News story: CMA accepts Breedon takeover remedy (27.7.16)
Undertaking in lieu of reference consultation
30 June 2016: We are consulting on proposed undertakings in lieu of a reference for the anticipated acquisition of Hope Construction Materials Limited by Breedon Aggregates Limited.
Extension of considerations of undertakings in lieu
23 June 2015: The CMA has extended the consideration of UILs until 18 August 2016.
- Notice of extension (24.6.16)
CMA to consider undertakings offered
26 April 2016: The CMA considers that there are reasonable grounds for believing that the undertakings offered by Breedon Aggregates Limited, or a modified version of them, might be accepted by the CMA under the Enterprise Act 2002. A copy of the notice is available below.
- Notice to consider undertakings offered (30.6.16)
- Press release: CMA to consider Breedon undertakings (26.4.16)
Reference unless undertakings accepted
12 April 2016: The CMA has decided, on the information currently available to it, that it is or may be the case that this merger has resulted or may be expected to result in a substantial lessening of competition within a market or markets in the United Kingdom. This merger will be referred for a phase 2 investigation unless the parties offer acceptable undertakings to address these competition concerns. The full text of the decision is available below.
- Full text decision (PDF, 1.5MB) (30.6.16)
- Press release: Construction merger faces in-depth investigation (12.4.16)
Invitation to comment
12 February 2016: The CMA is considering whether it is or may be the case that this transaction has resulted in the creation of a relevant merger situation under the merger provisions of the Enterprise Act 2002 and, if so, whether the creation of that situation has resulted, or may be expected to result, in a substantial lessening of competition within any market or markets in the United Kingdom for goods or services.
Launch of merger inquiry
12 February 2016: The CMA announced the launch of its merger inquiry by notice to the parties.
- Commencement of initial period notice (12.2.16)
Please send written representations about any competition or public interest to:
Competition and Markets Authority
Published: 12 February 2016
Updated: 29 July 2016
Opened: 12 February 2016
Closed: 27 July 2016
- Undertakings in lieu acceptance decision published.
- Undertakings in lieu of reference accepted.
- Undertakings in lieu of reference consultation launched and full text decision published.
- Notice of extension published.
- CMA to consider undertakings announcement added.
- Decision announced: reference unless undertakings accepted.
- First published.
Case type: Mergers
Case state: Closed
Market sector: Building and construction