Acadia Healthcare Company / Priory Group merger inquiry
- Competition and Markets Authority
- 19 February 2016
- Last updated:
- 8 December 2016, see all updates
- 18 February 2016
- 8 December 2016
- Case type:
- Case state:
- Market sector:
- Healthcare and medical equipment
- Mergers - phase 1 clearance with undertakings in lieu
The CMA investigated the completed acquisition by Acadia Healthcare Company, Inc. of Priory Group No. 1 Limited.
|Phase 1 date||Action|
|10 November 2016||Undertakings in lieu of reference accepted|
|15 August 2016||Decision published|
|14 July 2016||Decision announced|
|18 May 2016||Launch of merger inquiry|
|19 April to 4 May 2016||Invitation to comment|
|18 February 2016||Initial enforcement order|
Undertakings in lieu of reference accepted
10 November 2016: The CMA has accepted undertakings in lieu of reference for the completed acquisition by Acadia Healthcare Company, Inc. of Priory Group No. 1 Limited. A copy of the undertakings and the decision are available below.
- UIL acceptance decision (8.12.16)
- Acadia final undertakings (10.11.16)
- News story: CMA protects prices for mental healthcare services (10.11.16)
Modified undertakings in lieu of reference consultation: Now closed
24 October 2016: We are consulting on modifications to the proposed undertakings in lieu (UIL) of a reference for the completed acquisition by Acadia Healthcare Company, Inc. of Priory Group No. 1 Limited.
- Notice of consultation (24.10.16)
- Modified undertakings (24.10.16)
- Modified undertakings showing amendments (24.10.16)
Undertaking in lieu of reference consultation: Now closed
7 October 2016: We are consulting on proposed undertakings in lieu (UIL) of a reference for the completed acquisition by Acadia Healthcare Company, Inc. of Priory Group No. 1 Limited.
- Notice of consultation (7.10.16)
- Proposed undertakings (7.10.16)
- News story: CMA consults on mental healthcare merger remedies (7.10.16)
CMA to consider undertakings offered
28 July 2016: The CMA considers that there are reasonable grounds for believing that the undertakings offered by Acadia, or a modified version of them, might be accepted by the CMA under the Enterprise Act 2002. A copy of the notice is available below.
- UIL extension period notice (22.9.16)
- Notice to consider undertakings offered (15.8.16)
- News story: CMA considers undertakings in Acadia/Priory merger (28.7.16)
Reference unless undertakings accepted
14 July 2016: The CMA has decided, on the information currently available to it, that it is or may be the case that this merger has resulted or may be expected to result in a substantial lessening of competition within a market or markets in the United Kingdom. This merger will be referred for a phase 2 investigation unless Acadia offers acceptable undertakings to address these competition concerns. The full text of the decision is available below.
- Full text decision (PDF, 1 MB) (15.8.16)
- Press release: Acadia/Priory merger faces in-depth investigation (14.7.16)
Launch of merger inquiry
18 May 2016: The CMA announced the launch of its merger inquiry by notice to the parties.
- Commencement of initial period notice (18.5.16)
Invitation to comment: Now closed
19 April 2016: The CMA is considering whether it is or may be the case that this transaction has resulted in the creation of a relevant merger situation under the merger provisions of the Enterprise Act 2002 and, if so, whether the creation of that situation has resulted, or may be expected to result, in a substantial lessening of competition within any market or markets in the United Kingdom for goods or services.
Initial enforcement order
17 February 2016: The CMA served an initial enforcement order under section 72(2) of the Enterprise Act 2002 on Acadia Healthcare Company, Inc. and its UK subsidiary, Partnerships in Care UK 1 Limited, in relation to the completed acquisition by Acadia Healthcare Company, Inc. of Priory Group No. 1 Limited.
- Initial enforcement order (18.2.16)
- Derogation 17 November 2016 (8.12.16)
- Derogation 20 October 2016 (26.10.16)
- Derogation 24 August 2016 (2.9.16)
- Derogation 17 February 2016 (19.2.16)
Please send written representations about any competition or public interest to:
Competition and Markets Authority
Published: 19 February 2016
Updated: 8 December 2016
Opened: 18 February 2016
Closed: 8 December 2016
- Undertakings in lieu acceptance decision and derogation published.
- Undertakings in lieu of reference accepted.
- Derogation published.
- Modified undertakings in lieu of reference consultation launched.
- Undertaking in lieu of reference consultation launched.
- Notice of extension published.
- Derogation published.
- Decisions published.
- CMA to consider undertakings announcement added.
- Decision announced: reference unless undertakings accepted.
- Launch of CMA merger inquiry.
- Invitation to comment issued.
- Derogation published.
Case type: Mergers
Case state: Closed
Market sector: Healthcare and medical equipment