You must have received your claim letter from the Pension Service, be registered with Government Gateway and enrolled in State Pension online before you can make your claim.
Read the instructions below before you start.
Start now on the Government Gateway website
Claim letter from the Pension Service
You can only apply online once you’ve got a letter from the Pension Service asking you to claim your State Pension. You’ll get this 4 months before you reach State Pension age.
If you’ve never registered with Government Gateway
You must register with Government Gateway first. You can then enrol in State Pension Online at the same time.
You’ll be sent your Government Gateway user ID and activation code separately in the post. This usually takes up to 7 days.
You can then come back to this page and start to claim your State Pension online - log into Government Gateway with your user ID and password, and then enter your activation code.
If you’ve registered with Government Gateway but don’t have an activation code
Log into Government Gateway with your user ID and password, and enrol for State Pension online.
You’ll then be sent an activation code in the post. This usually takes up to 7 days.
You can then come back to this page and start to claim your State Pension online - log into Government Gateway and enter your activation code.
Other information you’ll need
As well as your letter, user ID and activation code, you’ll also need:
- your bank account details
- National Insurance number(s) for you and your partner
- current and 2 previous addresses
- addresses and dates of employment if you’ve worked in the past 2 years
- dates and social security numbers if you’ve lived or worked abroad
- date of your marriage or civil partnership
- date of divorce or civil partnership dissolution
- date your partner died
- details of any benefits that you or your partner get
The information you give will be kept confidential.
Further help and information
Read how to:
- Takes around 20 minutes
- Not available in Northern Ireland
You can claim by phone or by posting a form.