Local council rules for child employment permits

Most local councils say that businesses intending to employ school-aged children must apply for a child employment permit before they can be employed.

If a child is working without a child employment permit, there’s a risk that the employer won’t be insured against 
accidents involving the child.

Children don’t need a work permit for work experience arranged by their school.

Employers should contact their local council’s education department or education welfare service to find out if a child employment permit is needed.