How local safeguarding children boards (LSCBs) should gather information to complete the annual child death data collection.
The child death data collection is a statutory return by all LSCBs each May.
You must report all child death reviews that occurred in your region during the preceding financial year (1 April to 31 March) and record details of:
- all completed child death cases which have been signed-off by your local child death overview panel (CDOP)
- on-going CDOP reviews
- all serious case reviews associated with completed CDOP reviews
- notifications of deaths of children normally resident in your region, but who died in another LSCB area
Still births and abortions should not be recorded in this collection.
The information is collected using spreadsheets, and is transferred securely to the child death data collection co-ordinator, using the CDOP mailbox.
We will publish further details of the secure transfer process for CDOP chairs and co-ordinators by 31 March 2014.
The following are important deadlines for the 2014 collection:
- collection opens: Tuesday 1 April 2014
- deadline for returns: Friday 30 May 2014
Our guidance will help LSCBs and CDOPs complete their returns:
National templates to report child deaths can be requested from the CDOP mailbox.
If you would like help completing the child death data collection, or you have any questions about the return, please use the service request form, making sure you:
- check the data collection enquiry button
- select ‘child deaths’ in the drop-down box
If you have any comments about the Data Collection Helpdesk service or any other aspects of our data collection service please use the feedback form.