You might be able to get legal advice from Civil Legal Advice (CLA) if you qualify for legal aid and have problems with:

  • debt, if your home is at risk
  • housing
  • domestic abuse
  • family, if you’ve been in an abusive relationship
  • special educational needs
  • discrimination
  • issues around a child being taken into care

CLA is a national helpline in England and Wales.

You’ll be asked questions about your problem and financial situation. If it looks like you might qualify for help, you’ll be able to speak to CLA.

Complete the online service before you call CLA so they can help you more quickly.

Start now on the Civil Legal Advice checker

Before you start

You and your partner (if you have one) will need:

  • recent payslips (if you’re working) and bank statements
  • a summary of your income tax and National Insurance contributions
  • details of any savings and investments you have
  • details of any benefits you receive
  • mortgage statements and a current valuation for any property you own

This service is only for adults. Contact CLA if you’re under 18.

You’ll only get guidance on whether or not CLA might be able to help - you won’t get a final decision until you speak to an adviser.

Check if you qualify for legal aid

To qualify for legal aid:

  • your income (or combined income if you have a partner) shouldn’t be more than £2,657 a month before tax
  • your savings (or combined savings if you have a partner) shouldn’t be more than £8,000

These limits can vary in certain circumstances, eg if you need advice about domestic abuse.

CLA can’t help if you’ve been charged with a crime - ask your solicitor or barrister about criminal legal aid.

Legal aid is different in Scotland and Northern Ireland.