1. Overview

The Driving Standards Agency (DSA) and Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) have merged to form the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).

Most learner motorcycle and moped riders must take compulsory basic training (CBT) before riding on the road.

You then have to pass your full motorcycle test within 2 years or you’ll have to take CBT again.

You need to book CBT through an approved training body (ATB) - each ATB sets its own fees.

When you don’t need to take CBT

You don’t need to take CBT to ride a moped if you passed your car driving test before 1 February 2001.

Mopeds have a maximum engine size of 50cc and a maximum speed of approximately 31mph.

You also don’t have to take CBT if you:

  • have a full moped licence from passing a full moped test after 1 December 1990
  • have a full motorcycle licence for one category and want to upgrade to another
  • live and ride on some offshore islands

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.