Bullying at school

Skip to contents of guide

Reporting bullying

You should report bullying to your school in the first place - or someone you trust if it happens outside school, for example in a club or online.

Tell the police if the bullying involves a crime.

Schools - reporting bullying

School staff will deal with bullying in different ways, depending on how serious the bullying is.

They might deal with it in school, for example by disciplining bullies, or they might report it to the police or social services.

Any discipline must take account of special educational needs or disabilities that the pupils involved may have.

You can complain about a school if you think it hasn’t dealt with your concerns.

Police - reporting bullying

Anyone can make a complaint to the police about bullying but it’s usually a good idea to speak to your school first.

If you’re reporting cyberbullying, keep a record of the date and time of the calls, emails or texts - don’t delete any messages you receive.

Call 999 if you or someone else is in immediate danger.

Where to get help and advice

There are lots of organisations that provide support and advice if you’re worried about bullying: