UKCCIS achievements include:
- implementing an unavoidable choice for home broadband customers about whether to turn on parental control filters, as well as considering potential problems around overblocking.
- working with the Registered Digital Institute to design a Friendly Wifi logo, to allow parents and families to easily identify places where they can be sure that the public wifi has filtered inappropriate websites.
- creating summaries of a large body of internet safety research
- developing a series of guidance documents for industry, including on , , , and
The Council’s work is made possible by the enthusiasm, energy and efforts of its members.
Executive Board members
The UKCCIS Executive Board brings together representatives from across the membership on a quarterly basis and is chaired jointly by Baroness Joanna Shields, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Internet Safety and Security, Karen Bradley MP, Minister for Preventing Abuse and Exploitation, and Edward Timpson MP, Minister of State for Children and Families.
The Executive Board is responsible for identifying priority areas of work, and sets the strategic direction for UKCCIS. Read the Executive Board’s.
Including the three Ministerial Chairs, Board membership consists of:
- Julian Ashworth, Chief Strategy Officer, BT
- Daniel Butler, Head of Public Affairs, Virgin Media
- John Carr, Secretary, CHIS
- David Cooke, Director, BBFC
- Catherine Duggan, Head of Child Protection Policy, Scottish Executive
- Will Gardner, CEO, Safer Internet Centre
- Jonny Gwynne, Director, CEOP Command
- Susie Hargreaves, CEO, Internet Watch Foundation (IWF)
- Lindsay Harvey, Welsh Assembly
- Nicola Hodson, Director of Marketing and Operations, Microsoft
- Aleyne Johnson, Head of Government Relations, Samsung
- Adam Kinsley, Director of Policy, BskyB,
- Claire Lilley, Head of Child Safety Online, NSPCC
- Sonia Livingstone, Professor, LSE
- Eilis McDaniel, Northern Ireland Executive
- Dave Miles, Director, FOSI
- Katie O’Donovan, Public Policy and Government Relations Manager, Google
- Tink Palmer, CEO Marie Collins Foundation,
- Claudio Pollack, Director Consumer Group, Ofcom
- Cindy Rose, Managing Director, Consumer Division, Vodafone
- Rishi Saha, Head of Public Policy, UK, Facebook
- Vicki Shotbolt, CEO, Parentzone
- Jo Twist, CEO, UKIE
- Iain Wood, Public Affairs Manager, TalkTalk
Organisations wishing to become a member of the wider council, please contact the Secretariat at email@example.com. Applications will be considered at the subsequent Executive Board meeting.
The Executive Board has created the following five working groups to consider topical issues:
- Filtering chaired by Dave Miles, FOSI -
- Social Media chaired by Claudio Pollack, Ofcom -
- Education chaired by Jonathan Baggaley, CEOP
- Evidence chaired by Professor Julia Davidson, Middlesex University -
- Age Verification chaired by Dr Rachel O’Connell, Trust Elevate