UKCCIS achievements include:
- implementing an unavoidable choice for home broadband customers about whether to turn on parental control filters, as well as considering potential problems around overblocking.
- working with the Registered Digital Institute to design a Friendly Wifi logo, to allow parents and families to easily identify places where they can be sure that the public wifi has filtered inappropriate websites.
- creating summaries of a large body of internet safety research
- developing a series of guidance documents for industry, including on , , , and
The Council’s work is made possible by the enthusiasm, energy and efforts of its members.
Executive Board members
The UKCCIS Executive Board brings together representatives from across the membership on a quarterly basis and is chaired jointly by Ed Vaizey, MP, Minister of State for Culture and the Digital Economy, Mike Penning MP, Minister of State for Policing, Criminal Justice and Victims, and Edward Timpson MP, Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Children and Families.
The Executive Board is responsible for identifying priority areas of work, and sets the strategic direction for UKCCIS. Read the Executive Board’s.
Including the three Ministerial Chairs, Board membership consists of:
- Julian Ashworth, Chief Strategy Officer, BT
- Daniel Butler, Head of Public Affairs, Virgin Media
- John Carr, Secretary, CHIS
- David Cooke, Director, BBFC
- Will Gardner, CEO, Safer Internet Centre
- Jonny Gwynne, Director, CEOP Command
- Naomi Gummer, Public Policy Manager, Google
- Susie Hargreaves, CEO, Internet Watch Foundation (IWF)
- Lindsay Harvey, Welsh Assembly
- Nicola Hodson, Director of Marketing and Operations, Microsoft
- Aleyne Johnson, Head of Government Relations, Samsung
- Adam Kinsley, Director of Policy, BskyB,
- Claire Lilley, Head of Child Safety Online, NSPCC
- Sonia Livingstone, Professor, LSE
- Eilis McDaniel, Northern Ireland Executive
- Dave Miles, Director, FOSI
- Simon Milner, Director of Policy UK and Ireland, Facebook
- Tink Palmer, CEO Marie Collins Foundation,
- Claudio Pollack, Director Consumer Group, Ofcom
- Phil Raines, Head of Child Protection, Scottish Executive
- Cindy Rose, Managing Director, Consumer Division, Vodafone
- Vicki Shotbolt, CEO, Parentzone
- Jo Twist, CEO, UKIE
- Iain Wood, Public Affairs Manager, TalkTalk
Organisations wishing to become a member of the wider council, please contact the Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be considered at the subsequent Executive Board meeting.
The Executive Board has created the following five working groups to consider topical issues:
- Filtering chaired by Dave Miles, FOSI
- Social Networking chaired by Claudio Pollack, Ofcom
- Education chaired by Jonathan Baggaley, CEOP
- Evidence chaired by Professor Julia Davidson, Middlesex University
- Age Verification chaired by Dr Rachel O’Connell, Groovy Future