Apply to bankrupt someone who owes you money

Prove you're owed £5,000 or more

To make someone bankrupt you must be owed one of the following:

  • at least £5,000
  • a share of debts that total at least £5,000

You must provide evidence to the court that you’re owed this money. There are 2 ways to do this.

If you’ve issued a statutory demand (a request for payment) to the debtor, confirm that you did this by filling in a certificate of service (form N215).

Alternatively, get a sheriff’s or bailiff’s statement showing:

  • you got a court judgment for the money
  • the sheriff or bailiff could not recover enough assets to pay the debt