You can apply for vehicle tax up to 2 months before it expires if you’re going to be abroad before your current tax runs out.

Apply online

Apply online using your V5C registration certificate (log book).

Apply by post

You can also apply by post to DVLA Swansea, SA99 1DZ.

You need to send:

  • your V5C registration certificate (log book)
  • a letter from you explaining why you’re applying in advance
  • a filled-in form V10 or V85 for Heavy Goods Vehicles (HGVs)
  • an MOT or Goods Vehicle Testing (GVT) certificate (if you need one for your vehicle), which must be valid when the new tax starts
  • the payment for your vehicle tax (by cheque, postal order or banker’s draft payable to ‘DVLA Swansea’)