Apply for your first approved driving instructor (ADI) badge online. You’ll need to have passed the ADI part 3 test within the last 12 months.
Start now on the Department for Transport service
It costs £300. You’ll need a debit or credit card to pay.
The online service is available from 6am to 11:30pm.
Photocard driving licence
If you have a photocard driving licence you’ll need:
- your online user ID from the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA)
- your password
- your driving licence number (if you’re giving DVSA permission to use your photocard photo)
Paper driving licence
If you have an old-style paper driving licence you’ll also need:
- to print the final screen and send it to DVSA
- a passport-sized photo with your ADI personal reference number written on the back
Your user ID and password
Your user ID can be found on all letters sent to you by DVSA. It’s not the same as your ADI personal reference number.
Email DVSA if you’ve never had, or have lost, your user ID. You must include your:
- driving licence number
- ADI number
- date of birth
Rules for passwords
You can’t use any of your 5 previously used passwords.
Your password must be at least 9 characters long. It must include at least 3 of these 4 types of characters:
- uppercase characters, eg A B C
- lowercase characters, eg a b c
- numeric digits, eg 1 2 3
- special characters, eg £ % &
Help with your application
Email DVSA if you have any problems applying online.
There’s a different process to apply for your first ADI badge in Northern Ireland.