If you’re classed as a critical worker, for example you work in a hospital or as a carer, you can apply for a driving theory test for:

  • cars
  • motorcycles
  • lorries, buses and coaches, including the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) part 1a and 1b (theory) and part 2 (case studies)

You must be ready to take your test at short notice when you apply.

Theory tests for anyone who’s not classed as a critical worker have been suspended because of coronavirus (COVID-19). If you’re not a critical worker, you can book a theory test when new appointments become available.

Start now on the emergency theory test application service

Before you start

You need your UK driving licence number.

You must have lived in England, Wales or Scotland for at least 185 days in the last 12 months before the day you take your theory or driving test.

Car and motorcycle tests cost £23.

Lorry and bus tests cost:

  • part 1a (multiple-choice questions) - £26
  • part 1b (hazard perception) - £11
  • part 2 (case studies) - £23

When you do not need a theory test

You do not need to take a theory test before you book a driving test to upgrade:

  • an automatic car licence to a manual car licence
  • from category A1 (small motorcycle) to category A2 (medium motorcycle) if you’ve had the licence for at least 2 years
  • from category C1 (medium vehicles) to category C (large vehicles) unless you got your C1 entitlement from passing a car driving test
  • from category D1 (minibus) to category D (bus)

You do not need to take a theory test before you book a taxi driving test.

There’s a different service to book your theory test in Northern Ireland.