Appeal an exam result

1. Overview

You can challenge the result of an exam or qualification if you think it’s wrong.

GCSE, AS, A level or Diploma

Contact your school or college to get an exam result looked at again - this is called ‘making an enquiry about results’.

You can make the enquiry about results yourself if you’re a private candidate, eg if you’re home schooled, self-taught or a mature student.

If you’re not satisfied with the outcome, you or your school can make an appeal to Ofqual.

Other qualifications

Contact the awarding organisation and appeal to them directly about the results for any other qualification, eg a BTEC or an NVQ.

They’ll send you a final report after they’ve reviewed the result.

If you’re not happy with the outcome of the appeal, you can contact Ofqual to make a complaint.

Complaints - Ofqual
Telephone: 0300 303 3344
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm

Complaints - Ofqual
Spring Place
Herald Avenue

Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland

Find out more about the appeals process in: