Appeal against a penalty charge notice

Appealing to an independent tribunal

You may be able to appeal to an independent tribunal against a penalty charge notice (PCN) if you think it’s wrong.

You can only do this if you’ve already tried making making a formal challenge (‘representation’).

This includes any PCN issued in England or Wales for:

  • parking
  • breaking traffic rules, for example going against a ‘no right turn’ sign or driving in a bus lane when you shouldn’t
  • not paying the Dartford Crossing, London congestion or low emissions zone charge on time

There are different ways to appeal in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

When to appeal

You then have 28 days to appeal after you get a ‘notice of rejection’ to say your formal challenge has failed.

How to appeal

Find out how to appeal to:

If your appeal is successful the PCN will be cancelled and you won’t have to pay anything.