Your family members (‘dependants’) must apply to join or remain with you in the UK if they’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.
A ‘dependant’ is any of the following:
- your partner
- your child under 18
- your child over 18 if they’re currently in the UK as a dependant
Dependants applying outside the UK
Your family members must apply online.
They’ll need to have their fingerprints and photograph (known as ‘biometric information’) taken at a visa application centre as part of their application.
They may be able to get their visa faster or other services depending on what country they’re in - check with the visa application centre.
Your family members cannot apply online if they’re applying from North Korea.
Each family member will need to make their own application. They must:
- download the application form and guidance - they can read the guidance if they need help filling in the form
- read the instructions to find out where they need to take their completed form
Dependants applying in the UK
Your dependants can apply to extend or switch their visas to stay with you if they’re already in the UK. They must apply online.
It’s best to submit your dependant’s application at the same time as yours but they can apply at a later date.
Members of your family cannot apply in the UK as your dependant if they hold a visitor visa.
Get help using a computer to apply online
You can get help with:
- accessing a computer or the internet
- finding the right information on GOV.UK
You cannot get advice on:
- whether you’re eligible to apply
- what information to put in your application
- an application you’ve already made
Children born while you’re in the UK
If you have children while you’re in the UK, you can apply for permission for them to stay.
You must do this if you want to travel in and out of the UK with your child.
You must apply online. You’ll also need to provide a full UK birth certificate showing the names of both of your child’s parents.