Advanced Learner Loan

Skip to contents of guide

How to apply

  1. Check with your college or training provider that the course qualifies.

  2. Ask them for a ‘Learning and funding information’ letter - you need this to complete the application. It contains the details about your course.

  3. Apply online - you’ll need to register first. You can apply by post if you cannot apply online.

  4. You’ll get a letter confirming your loan - usually within 2 weeks if you apply online (postal applications take longer).

What you need to know

You cannot apply until you get a ‘learning and funding information letter’ from your college or training provider.

You can apply for a loan without a National Insurance number but you must have one before the loan can be paid.

Apply by post

If you cannot apply online, apply by post - the address is on the form.

Read the student finance privacy notice to find out how the information you provide will be used.

If you start your course on or after 1 August 2023

If you started your course between 1 August 2022 and 31 July 2023

If you started your course between 1 August 2021 and 31 July 2022

Proof of identity

If you’re a UK national, include your UK passport details in your application as proof of identity. If you forget, use the ‘UK passport details form’.

If you do not have a UK passport (or it has expired), send your original birth or adoption certificate to Student Finance England.

Include your name and address. You should also include your customer reference number if you have one. This is an 11-digit number. You can find it on letters or emails you’ve had from Student Finance England.

EU students

If you have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme, you only need to provide your share code to prove your immigration status and identity. You do not need to send your passport. Someone will contact you to ask for your share code after you apply.

If you do not have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme, send your non-UK passport or identity card the first time you apply.

Supporting information

Use the ‘Evidence return form’ if you need to send extra information to support your application, such as proof of residency status.

Change an application

Once your application has been approved you can log in to your account to make a change online.

If you just want to change your loan amount you can use the loan request form instead.