Beta This is a test version of the layout of this page. Take the survey to help us improve it
Advanced Learner Loan
6. Bursary fund
You may apply to get money from the Loan Bursary Fund after you’ve received a letter approving your Advanced Learner Loan.
The money can help pay for things like:
- accommodation and travel
- course materials and equipment
- classroom assistance for a disability or learning difficulty - once you’re assessed by your college or training provider
How to apply
Apply to your college or training provider - each one has its own application process. How much you get depends on the provider’s scheme and your circumstances.
Speak to student services if you need support with your application.
How the money is paid
Your college or training provider decides how the money is paid. You’ll normally be paid direct. You might be able to arrange for the money to be paid to someone else instead, eg your landlord or childcare provider.
In some situations fund money must be paid back. This is generally if you’re a student experiencing a temporary financial difficulty and need a loan, eg for help with your mortgage or rent.
You can apply even if you get other types of funding, eg:
- Professional and Career Development Loans
- Disability Living Allowance
You can’t apply if you’re:
- getting student finance for higher education
- on an apprenticeship training scheme
- on a Community Learning course
Appeal a decision
Contact your college or training provider to appeal a decision from the Loan Bursary Fund.